Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

July 2010
S M T W T F S
« Jun   Aug »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for July 17th, 2010

Skeptical D.C. Fed Judge Dismisses Charges in Major Porn Trial Against “Buttman”

John Stagliano/facebook photo

John Stagliano/facebook photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — A D.C. federal judge, saying he hoped “the government will learn a lesson from its experience”, dismissed a major obscenity case against a major porn producer, John A. Stagliano, aka “Buttman”, the Washington Post reported.

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon dismissed the case before the Calif.-based Stagliano of Evil Angel Productions could present a defense, the Post reported, calling the Justice Department’s Obscenity Prosecution Task Force case in the four days of trial “woefully insufficient”, the Post reported.

“I hope the government will learn a lesson from its experience,” Leon said, according to the Post.

The Post reported that he cited “difficult, challenging and novel questions” in the case involving decades-old federal obscenity statutes, the Internet, free speech and criminal defendants’ rights.

“I hope that [higher] courts and Congress will give greater guidance to judges in whose courtrooms these cases will be tried,” he said, according to the Post.

The Post reported that prosecutors did not comment.

The Post reported that Justice Department statistics show 361 defendants were charged with obscenity violations under the Bush II regime, nearly twice as many as under Clinton.

To read more click here.

Weekend Stories Worth Reading

Weekend Series on Crime: The DEA Fast Team in Afghanistan

Feds Bust 94 in Largest Health Care Fraud Takedown Since Strike Force Created

health care
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — The feds on Friday said 94 people were charged in schemes to collect more than $251 million in Medicare claims, calling it the largest health care fraud takedown since the Medicare Fraud Strike Force was created in 2007.

Federal authorities alleged that the suspected cheats took part in schemes to submit bogus Medicare claims for treatments that were were medically unnecessary and often never provided, according to the Justice Department.

“With today’s arrests, we’re putting would-be criminals on notice: Health care fraud is no longer a safe bet,” Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. said in a statement. “The federal government is working aggressively—and collaboratively—to pursue health care criminals around the country and to bring these offenders to justice.”

The fraudulent claims involved physical therapy and occupational therapy schemes, home health care schemes, HIV infusion fraud schemes and durable medical equipment (DME) schemes, authorities said.

Earlier on Friday, 36 defendants were arrested in Miami, New York, Baton Rouge and Detroit.

Mexican Drug Dealers Use Car Bomb For First Time

Mexico border mapBy Allan Lengel
ticklethwire.com

As if the drug war in Mexico wasn’t violent enough.

Now, the drug dealers, for the first time, have resorted to a car bomb in Mexico in the drug war, the El Paso Times and the Associated Press reported.

Mayor Jose Reyes  Ferriz of Ciudad Juarez said traffickers set a deadly car bomb trap at a busy intersection  that killed three people on Thursday night in his border town including a federal policeman, a medical technician and a man dressed in a fake police uniform, the El Paso Times reported.

Ferriz said he feared some officers might quit the force out of fear of running into booby traps and ambushes, the paper reported.

To read more click here.