Former Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers, the wife of Rep. John Conyers (D-Mi.) , chair of the House Judiciary Committee, is trying to pull out all the stops to avoid reporting to prison to begin serving her 37 month sentence for bribery.
The Detroit News reports  that she has filed a motion to remain free pending her appeal before the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals. She is set to report to prison on Sept. 10.
The paper reports that her appeal centers around U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn’s refusal to allow her to withdraw her plea on the day she was sentenced.
Her attorney Douglas Mullkoff says she’s not a flight risk and should be allowed to remain free, the News reported.
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
- Senate Confirms 9 U.S. Attorneys (Main Justice) 
- Yoko Ono Opposes Parole For Husband’s Killer (AOL News) 
- 2 Minn. Women Among 14 Charged in Terror Probe (AP) 
- Fed Judge Rules No New Trial For Defendants in Cases Handled By DEA Agent Who Had Been Acquitted of Criminal Charges Himself (AP) 
- Az. Pastors Indicted For Failing to Report Sex Abuse (AP) 
- Blago Jury Ends 7th Days of Deliberations (AP) 
- Jewish Activists Support Ground Zero Mosque (AP) 
- Pentagon Demands WikiLeaks Return All Classified Papers (WIRED)