Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

August 2010
S M T W T F S
« Jul   Sep »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for August 27th, 2010

Weekend Series on the History Law Enforcement: Nixon Talks to Atty. Gen. Elliot Richardson in 1973

ATF Agents Concerned About Justice Dept. Memo About Explosive Cases With FBI

bomb2
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — Some ATF agents are concerned about a recent memo from the Justice Department that tries to correct the  beefing going on between the FBI and ATF over turf, the Washington Post reported.

Acting Deputy Attorney Gen. Gary G. Grindler issued a memo earlier this month saying it was “critically important” for the two agencies to share information so key intelligence isn’t lost, the Post reported. He also said that the FBI should be the lead agency on terrorism related explosive cases and ATF should do the rest.

“It’s very disheartening,” one ATF agent, who was not authorized to speak publicly about internal matters, told the Post. “They won’t hesitate to throw that memo in our face.”

The Post reported that other agents fear there will be “further delays as the FBI decides whether bombings are terrorism-related – and then hands over some cases weeks later to ATF agents who must retrace the FBI’s steps. The agencies use different techniques to investigate bombings.

“Everyone will have to wait for the FBI to make a decision,” ATF agent told the Post. “This gives one agency – the FBI – the ability to control everything.”

The Post reported that FBI associate deputy director T.J. Harrington praised Grindler’s “leadership” and said “both the FBI and ATF are committed to providing their very best in service to the American public. The Deputy Attorney General recognized the unique strengths of our two organizations, and he has reaffirmed our common commitment and goal of ‘One-Team One-Fight’ – keeping the country safe.”

Judge Orders Dallas FBI Agent Detained Pending Trial on Charges of Threatening to Kill Estranged Wife and Head of Dallas FBI

dallas-map1By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

A Dallas FBI agent accused of threatening to kill his estranged wife and the head of the Dallas FBI, Robert E. Casey Jr., will remain behind bars pending trial, the Dallas Morning News reported.

The ruling by U.S. Magistrate Judge Irma Ramirez in Dallas came Thursday after hearing disturbing evidence about Carlos Ortiz, 48, who has been fired by the FBI, the Dallas Morning News reported. The judge found Ortiz was a danger to the community. Ortiz’s wife is an FBI analyst.

“Its a very sad day for law enforcement,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Irma Ramirez said, according to the Dallas paper reported.

The paper reported that an FBI assessment concluded that Ortiz was “erratic and dangerous for years.”

The paper reported that the assessment or Ortiz was included in a dismissal letter Ortiz got on Wednesday from the FBI, the same day he was arrested.

“The letter chronicles allegations of spousal abuse and describes a 1992 encounter in which Dallas SWAT officers had to be called when Ortiz barricaded himself in his home over ‘job stress and personal issues’,” the paper reported.

The FBI declined comment, the paper reported. Ortiz had been on unpaid leave for months pending a probe into whether he assaulted his estranged wife., the paper reported.

Ortiz’s father and girlfriend said Ortiz is not a violent person and blamed the matter on the estranged wife, the paper reported.

Brotherly Love? Ex-Gov. Blago Doesn’t Call Brother Hours After Charges Dropped

Ex-Gov on NBC's Celebrity Apprentice
Ex-Gov on NBC’s Celebrity Apprentice

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Perhaps one of the more interesting asterisks surrounding the decision Thursday by prosecutors to drop charges against Robert Blagojevich was that his brother Rod, the very chatty, seldom-at-a-loss for words ex-governor, had not called to congratulate him hours after the announcement, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

“When it comes to my brother, I’ve grown accustomed to being an afterthought. So, it’s not a big deal for me,” Robert Blagojevich told the Sun-Times.

The case was dropped against Robert Blagojevich, who had been indicted on four corruption counts. The jury in the first trial deadlocked on all counts. Prosecutors still plan to retry brother Rod, who was convicted on only 1 of 24 counts.

The paper reported that reporters caught Rod Blagojevich on Thursday as he was leaving to go jogging and asked his reaction to the charges being dropped against his brother.

It “was long overdue,” Rod Blagojevich said, according to the Sun-Times.

“What happened to my brother should have never happened, and I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am for my brother and for his family that this nightmare for them is finally over,” he said.

The paper reported that after talking to reporters, Rod Blagojevich called his brother and left a message.

“I still love my brother,” Robert Blagojevich said, according to the Sun-Times. “I know he still loves me. I wish him well and want nothing but the best for him and his family.”

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST