Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

January 2011
S M T W T F S
« Dec   Feb »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for January 5th, 2011

Sixteen Years After Being Declared an FBI Fugitive: Where the Heck is Mobster Whitey Bulger?

Chicago Fed Jury Convicts White Supremacist Who Advocated Violence Against a Juror

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

A self-proclaimed white-supremacist was convicted Wednesday in Chicago federal court of soliciting violence against a Jewish jury foreman who helped convict another white-supremacist, Matthew Hale in 2004.

William A. White, 33, of Roanoke, Va., was convicted of one count of solicitation, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

White was charged with advocating violence on his website overthrow.com against Chicago juror Mark Hoffman.

He wrote that Hoffman was a “gay, Jewish anti-racist” who wrongfully helped convict Hale, and posted Hoffman’s address and home phone number, with hopes that someone would do him harm, authorities said.

Hoffman helped convict Hale, who  had ordered his head of security — who turned out to be an FBI informant — to kill U.S. District Judge Joan Lefkow, according to the Sun-Times reported. At some point, two family members of Judge Lefkow’s were murdered by a disgruntled litigant not affiliated with a white supremacist group, the Sun-Times reported.

“While freedom of speech is among our most cherished rights, the First Amendment does not protect anyone who intends to induce others to kill or injure,” said U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald. “It is critical to our system of justice that jurors and judges alike must be free to perform their duties without living in fear.”

White also had postings encouraging violence against people like Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel and Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

White House Delays ATF Regulation Requiring Gun Dealers Along Mexican Border to Report Bulk Sales

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — The White House on Wednesday delayed implementation of an ATF rule that would have required gun dealers on the Mexican border to report bulk sales of automatic weapons, the website Talking Points Memo reported.

Reporter Ryan J. Reilly reported that the White House’s Office of Management and Budget was supposed to give the ATF the green light for the policy on Wednesday, but said it needed more time to review it. Specifically, the rule, being opposed by some gun groups, would require gun dealers to report sales of two or more rifles to one person within five days.

“ATF’s information collection request is still under review,” an administration official told TPM.

READER COMMENTS

Comment from Jim Burdick | [e]
Time January 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm

The delay is because the and 2nd Amendment crowd (misreading the Amendment of course) are beating down the White House door and fighting like mad to “keep” the President from “taking our guns” away.

Comment from Yardbird1948 | [e]
Time January 6, 2011 at 10:28 am

The delay may be because the President doesn’t want to be associated with a rule that can be proved useless.

Judge Tosses Suit Against DEA By Agent Who Shot Himself


By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — A federal judge in Washington last week tossed a lawsuit filed by DEA agent Lee Paige, who claimed the agency leaked an embarrassing video of him accidentally shooting himself with a Glock 40 while demonstrating gun safety to children in Orlando in 2004, the Associated Press reported.

The video was aired nationally and became the subject of late night talk show jokes.

AP reported that Senior U.S. District Judge Jack Shanstrom said Paige, 50, provided no evidence as to who made the video public. Paige’s suit was based on violation of privacy.

Before the gun went off, Paige told the children he was the only one in the room who could safely handle the gun, according to the video below.

Read lawsuit

Texas Fed Prosecutor Fred Schattman Dies at Age 60

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

At the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Fort Worth, Tex.,  assistant U.S. Attorney Fred Schattman was the go-to guy when people were stumped on complicated cases, when they needed some guidance, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“He was a master at coming up with a strategy to take down an organization that many times law enforcement had tried for years to deal with, but never could bring down,” former U.S. Attorney Richard Roper told the paper.

Schattman, who worked for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for 25 years, died Dec. 30 of a heart attack while vacationing in California, the Star-Telegram reported. He was 60.

“It was ‘When in doubt, ask Fred how to do it,'” Mark Nichols, deputy chief in the U.S. Attoreny’s Office in Fort Worth told the paper.

Schattman first worked in North Texas as an assistant district attorney in Tarrant County and joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in 1985, the paper reported. Since 1989, he had been assigned to task forces working on organized crime and drug enforcement.

His wife told the paper that Schattman, father of four, was in San Diego spending Christmas with family. Some members had a stomach bug, so he volunteered to go to the drug store and get ginger ale and medicine.

While in line, he collapsed, the paper reported.

To read more click here.

Detroit Fed Prosecutor Doesn’t Want Names in Escort Service “Black Book” Released

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

A good old fashion “black book” prostitution scandal is brewing in U.S. District Court in downtown Detroit.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Blackwell has filed papers urging the court to deny a Florida defense attorney access to tens of thousands of customers’ names on a list of a Miami escort service that wound up getting busted in Detroit last summer, the Detroit Free Press reports. Customers paid up to $500 an hour.

The list also includes dates, phone numbers and sexual preferences, the Free Press reported.

The paper reported that the attorney wants the names to interview and check backgrounds of customers to prepare for the case. The prosecution is not buying that.

“In fact, it is quite conceivable that the sole purpose of this request is not to adequately prepare for trial, but only to intimidate, threaten or harass potential witnesses for the government … and that he is seeking to exploit this matter in the media with such aim,” the prosecutor wrote, according to the Free Press.

To read more click here.

Israel’s Netanyahu Asks Obama to Release Convicted Spy Jonathan Pollard

Jonathan Pollard/wikipedia

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — Convicted spy Jonathan Pollard — who worked for Naval intelligence —  is back in the news again.

The Washington Post reports that Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Tuesday sent a letter to President Obama asking for Pollard’s release. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1987 for spying for Israel.

The Post reported that the White House simply responded: “We have received the letter and will review it,” said Tommy Vietor, a White House spokesman.

Netanyahu read the letter at a session of parliament, the Post reported.

“Since Jonathan Pollard has now spent 25 years in prison, I believe that a new request for clemency is highly appropriate,” Netanyahu wrote. “I know that this view is also shared by former senior American officials with knowledge of the case, as well as by numerous Members of Congress.”

Related Story

The Hidden Hand in the Free-Pollard Movement (Spy Talk)

Long Time Fugitive Sentenced to 15 Years for 1968 Hijacking of Pan Am Flight 281 to Havana

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Luis Armando Pena Soltren, a fugitive for 41 years,  was sentenced Tuesday in federal court in New York to 15 years in prison for his role in the Nov. 24, 1968, hijacking of a Puerto Rico-bound Pan American flight 281 to Havana from JFK Airport.

After being on the run for decades, Pena Soltren, 67, a U.S. citizen, voluntarily surrendered in October 2009. He pled guilty in March.

“Today’s sentence of Luis Armando Pena Soltren for the violent hijacking in which he participated more than four decades ago should send a strong message that we will vindicate the interests of justice no matter how long it takes,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.

Read more »