A massive explosion in Indianapolis that killed two people and forced the evacuation of 200 others may have been caused by a faulty furnace, said the ex-husband of the woman whose house was at the center of the blast, the Indianapolis Star reports .
Local police said the cause of the fire won’t be known immediately because of the size of the blast.
Local, state and federal authorities continue to treat the explosion like a crime scene, the Star reported. The Star wrote that John Shirley, ex-husband of Monserrate Shirley, received a text from his daughter a little more than a week ago about a broken furnace at the house. “I bet you anything that’s why it happened,” he told the Star. Authorities believe natural gas played a role in the explosion.