Homeland Security is preparing sweeping budget cuts that could result in as many as 1,000 Secret Service agents, officers and others being furloughed, the Washington Guardian reports .
In an agency wide memo last week, officials warned of reductions that are needed in the event of sequestration, which is an automatic budget cut to take effect March 1, the Guardian reported.
The memo warned that the “department leadership is engaged in extensive planning efforts” determining how best to deal with the potential budget cuts.”
The Secret Service is known for protecting the president, also investigates major financial crimes.
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
- Elderly Man with Cane Is Sought in an Illinois Bank Robbery 
- Police Searching for Impersonators of FBI Agents in Murder-for-Hire Plot 
- Secret Service Investigates Email Hacking of Former Bush Presidents 
- British Unit of Aerospace Group EADS Could Face Federal Probe 
- Private Developers in Fairfax County Have Plenty of Experience to Trade for FBI Headquarters