A veteran ICE agent is accused of accepting bribes to help smuggle illegal immigrants into the country by claiming they were witnesses to a drug investigation, CBS Miami reports .
That’s one allegation facing Special Agent Juan Martinez, who appeared in court Friday on 12 criminal counts, including extortion and bribery.
Martinez also is accused of looking the other way in exchange for expensive jewelry, airline tickets and liquor.
His attorney, Silvia Pinera-Vazquez, said the charges are false.
“We disagree with the government 100-percent. Agent Martinez has been a law enforcement agent for over 20 years. He has dutifully served his country. He denies every single paragraph of that indictment and is looking forward to a trial where is innocence will be proven,” Pinera-Vazquez said, according to CBS Miami.
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
- DOJ: File-Sharing Site Megaupload Had 34.9 Billion Views of Files 
- Homeland Security Struggles to Identify People Who Overstay Visa 
- Massachusetts Strip Club Raided in Hunt for Bootleg Red Sox, Patriots Gear 
- Senate Confirms Immigration Director As No. 2 Officials for Homeland Security 
- DEA Investigates Prominent Doctor Amid Suspicious Patient Deaths