One school district in Alabama has taken the unusual step of hiring a former FBI agent to monitor students on social media, the Daily Intelligencer reports .
The idea was to catch students who make statements linking them to drugs, guns, sex and gangs.
The effort led to 14 expulsions last year.
Ex-FBI Agent Chris McRae was hired to look for expulsion-worthy transgressions.
The expulsions drew criticism because 12 of the 14 expelled students were black in a district where only 40% of the students are black.
“That is effectively targeting or profiling black children in terms of behavior and behavioral issues,” said Madison county commissioner Bob Harrison.
Other Stories of Interest
- Justice Department Is Investigating J.P. Morgan’s Foreign Exchange 
- Border Patrol Agents Find Marijuana Loaded into Meredes-Benz 
- Victims of Deadly Portland Fire Identified As Investigation Continues 
- TSA Seizes Dozens of Guns in U.S. Airports in October 
- Detroit Police, FBI Quiet on Investigation of Narcotics Probe