Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

December 2015
S M T W T F S
« Nov   Jan »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for December 8th, 2015

ABC News: San Bernardino Attack: Gun-Buyer Could See Criminal Charges

Enrique Marquez

Enrique Marquez

By ABC News

Authorities investigating the terror attack in San Bernardino told ABC News today that they may bring gun charges against Enrique Marquez, the 24-year-old neighbor and longtime friend of one of the shooters, who officials said originally bought two of the weapons used in the deadly attack.

Officials said they believe one of the San Bernardino gunmen, Syed Rizwan Farook, asked Marquez to buy the two “assault-style” rifles back in late 2011 or early 2012 so that Farook’s name would not be on file in connection with the high-powered rifles.

In a Facebook posting from Marquez’s profile just hours after the attack, he said, “I’m. Very sorry sguys. It was a pleasure.”

To read the full story click here.

Border Patrol Agents Won’t Be Charged in Tasing Incident Caught on Video

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Two Border Patrol agents who were accused of excessive force when one of them tased a college student during a traffic stop last year won’t face criminal charges, North Country Public Radio reports.

After reviewing the case, the CBP has decided against filing charges, a spokesperson for the agency said.

The incident was captured on video taken by the alleged victim, Jessica Cooke, who wouldn’t allow agents to search her trunk.

The woman was tackled by one of the agents after she began shouting.

Agents found nothing in the car of Cooke, who said she was held and released after several hours that left her bruised.

The agents, who have not been identified, remain on active duty.

Other Stories of Interest

FBI: California Couple That Opened Fire at Holiday Party Were Radicalized ‘for Quite Some Time’

San bernardino couple

San Bernardino couple at at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport in 2014.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The California couple that opened fire at a holiday lunch party in San Bernardino “were radicalized and have been for quite some time,” an FBI official said.

CNN reports that Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik were ISIS supporters who practiced their shooting at a gun range, according to David Bowdich, a top official in the FBI’s Los Angeles field office.

“The question for us,” he told reporters Monday, “is how, and by whom and where.”

Although the couple supported ISIS, it’s still unclear whether they took orders, met with terrorist leaders or executed the attack on their own.

“Remember, oftentimes, it’s on the Internet. We just don’t know,” Bowdich said. “I don’t want to speculate.”

North Carolina Official Proposes Ban on Gun Purchases for Suspected Terrorists

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Congressional Republicans blocked an effort to prevent suspected terrorists on the federal government’s database from buying guns.

But that isn’t stopping North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper from urging state lawmakers to support a similar ban in his state, the Citizen-Times reports. 

“Stopping terror suspects from getting weapons that could harm our state and its people makes common sense,” Cooper said in a news release. “Even if Washington won’t act, we can.”

But whether Cooper has enough support is another question. Some GOP leaders accused Cooper of gun control.

State GOP Chairman Hasan Harnett accused Cooper of “stripping our citizens of their constitutional rights and denying them due process” to score points with his like-minded supporters.

DHS Chief Plans to Launch Refined Terror Advisory System

Jeh Johnson

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The terrorism advisory system is being modified to reflect a “new phase” in the global fight against extremism, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said Monday, the Washington Post reports.

The current National Terrorism Advisory System, which was launched in 2011, has two levels – elevated throated and imminent threat.

But Johnson, citing new unknown risks from people who are radicalized at home, plans to add a new level – intermediate, which means officials don’t necessarily know the source of a threat.

The secretary said the United States is entering “a new phase in the global terrorist threat that involves not just terrorist directed attacks from overseas but also terrorist inspired attacks here on the homeland and in other countries.” In this environment, he said, “having not had a specific credible piece of intelligence reflecting a specific plot is not the end of the story because we’re dealing with the prospect of terrorist inspired attacks by someone who may be below our radar and who could act on a moment’s notice.”

Former Secret Service Agent Who Stole Bitcoins During Probe Sentenced to 6 Years in Prison

bitcoin_bigBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

A former Secret Service agent who illegally accessed the now-defunct Silk Road website and stealing bitcoin was sentenced Monday to nearly six years in prison and ordered to pay $1 million for the siphoned currency, the Wall Street Journal reports. 

Shaun Bridges, 33, pleaded guilty to felony charges of money laundering and obstruction of justice.

Officials pegged the value of the bitcoin at $350,000 when the currency was stolen.

Bridges sold the currency for $820,000.

Bridges’ attorneys urged the judge to sentence him to three years in prison.