By Steve Neavling
The TSA fired a screener who missed a loaded handgun in a passenger’s bag Sunday morning at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Georgia.
Katrina Jackson, of Alabama, said she had no idea the gun was in her bag. When she later opened her bag to get her passport, she spotted the .38-caliber handgun and immediately notified officials, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.
The TSA responded in a statement: “This egregious mistake was unacceptable and the officer who was still a probationary employee was immediately and permanently separated from federal service.”
So far this year, screeners at the airport have found 48 guns before they left the security area. The total seized guns last year was 198.
Other Stories of Interest
- Local FBI Leader Says Bureau’s Mission Is Protecting Americans, Not Playing Politics
- Teacher Wanted by the FBI on Child Porn Charges
- Tunes, Comey Clash on Whether FBI Chief Invited to House Russia Investigation
- Ex-Rep. Aaron Schock Was Brought Down by FBI Informant Staffer
- Nashville Judge Arrested Amid FBI Investigation