Some lawmakers are considering a proposal that would require drivers of ride-sharing services Uber and Lyft to undergo FBI background checks.
Taxi companies, which have been hit hard by the lower prices of Uber and Lyft, said they are subject to FBI background checks and so should drivers for ride-sharing services, the Las Vegas Sun reports.
Supporters of the ride-sharing services say background checks are a nonstarter and intended to bump Uber and Lyft off the roads.
“There’s a lot of interest in the background check because of public safety,” said John Mowbray, a lawyer who represents Frias Transportation Management, which operates one of Las Vegas’ largest cab companies.
Left and Uber are not fans of FBI checks because they are costly and can months to process. The companies, instead, rely on commercial background checks.
Other Stories of Interest
- Justice Department Revokes Confused Staffer’s Twitter Privileges
- FBI to Seize Assets of ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Producer Red Granite
- FBI Warning to ‘All Americans’ about Poisoned Produce
- Fugitive Spent Years Hiding on Appalachian Trail
- Justice Department Nabs Alleged Owner of KickAss Torrents