Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

November 2019
S M T W T F S
« Oct    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: Connecticut

Honduran Woman Claims ICE Agent Raped Her for 7 Years, Impregnating Her 3 Times

Courtesy of ICE

By Steve Neavling

ticklethewire.com

A Honduran woman living in Connecticut has accused an ICE agent of repeteadly raping and impregnating her for seven years, threatening to deport her if she didn’t do what he said, according to a federal lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges ICE Agent Wilfredo Rodriguez impregnated her three times and raped her up to four times a week.

“My only comment is that my client had a choice, cooperate with ICE or be deported with her family,” George Kramer, the woman’s lawyer, said in an email to the Associated Press. “She remains in a very fragile psychological state. She is not only seeking compensation for the physical and emotional damage she suffered but to change the way those who are cooperating with ICE are treated by those in a position of power and who often wield total control over the ability to remain in the United States.”

ICE declined to comment on the case but said Rodriguez no longer works at the agency.

According to the lawsuit, Rodriguez met the woman in 2006 and began demanding she become an informant to help deport undocumented immigrants.

A year later, she says, Rodriguez raped her at gunpoint. That was the beginning of seven years of sexual assault, the lawsuit states. During that period, she was impregnated three times and had an abortion each time.

According to the suit, she attempted suicide four times.

When Rodriguez left the agency, he warned her that “she and her family would pay” if she told authorities what happened.

She finally came forward last year when her husband applied for asylum. She confided in an agent, who suggested she consult an attorney.

FBI Tracks down a 19th Century Painting Stolen by the Nazis During WWII

“Secret Departure of Ivan the Terrible Before the Oprichina,” via U.S. Attorney’s Office.

By Steve Neavling

ticklethewire.com

The FBI tracked down an Ivan the Terrible painting that was stolen by the Nazis during World War II and returned the massive artwork to the Embassy of Ukraine.

The 19th century oil painting, titled “Secret Departure of Ivan the Terrible Before the Oprichina,” was looted from the Dnepropetrovsk Art Museum in Nazi-occupied Ukraine in 1941. More than 75 years later, the FBI’s Art Crime Team was tipped off that the Mikhail N. Panin painting was being prepared for auction.

The 64-square-foot painting was preserved and “admired” for decades in the Connecticut home of Gabby and David Tracy, who had no idea the artwork had been stolen, according to the FBI. In 1987, the couple came into possession of the painting when they bought the home in which artwork had been hung.

“The FBI is proud to work with our partners to mark this important art repatriation and return the painting to the Ukrainian Embassy. The FBI works to return stolen art and other property to preserve the history and culture of countries around the world,” Timothy M. Dunham, special agent in charge of the Washington Field Office’s Criminal Division, said in a news release. “Returning art to the proper owners is important and meaningful work made possible by our talented special agents and analysts.”

Investigators Say Small Plane Crash in Connecticut Appears to Be ‘Intentional Act’

East Hartford, Conn.

East Hartford, Conn.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Investigators are coming to a chilling conclusion about the small plane crash in East Hartford, Conn.: It appears to be “the result of an intentional act,” the National Transportation Safety Board said Wednesday.

The NTSB plans to hand over the case to the FBI, ABC News reports. 

Earlier Wednesday, the agency said, “If there is reason for us to believe that a criminal event has occurred, then we will take formal steps to transfer the investigation to the FBI.”

The crash killed a student pilot and seriously injured the instructor when the plane hit a utility pole and caught fire.

Investigators are looking into information that the student pilot was a Jordanian national.

“We are in touch with the relevant U.S. authorities on this matter as they undergo their investigation,” the Embassy of Jordan in Washington D.C. wrote in a statement.

The FBI has been interviewing the surviving flight instructor, Arian Prevalla, 43, who was upgraded to fair condition from critical condition Wednesday.

The family of Prevalla said they don’t have much information.

“We are all, of course, glad he survived. As of now, we have not been able to speak to him because the FBI was still questioning him.”

FBI Investigating Whether Connecticut Plane Crash Was Intentional

East Hartford, Conn.

East Hartford, Conn.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The FBI is investigating whether the Jordanian pilot who crashed a small plane into a utility pole in East Hartford did it intentionally.

One person was killed and another seriously injured in the crashed, CBS News reports.

The pilot, Feras M. Freitekh, entered the U.S. on a temporary student visa in 2012 for flight school.

The instructor told investigators that he believed the Cesna was intentionally crashed.

The crash occurred at 4 p.m., and the Piper PA 34 twin-engine plane burst into flames.

A passenger in the plane was killed, and the pilot was rushed to the hospital with serious burns.

Homeland Security Investigates High School Student Who Substituted ‘ISIS’ in Pledge of Allegiance

ISIS flag

ISIS flag

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Homeland Security is investigating a 15-year-old high school student in Connecticut who substituted “ISIS” for the “United States of America” during the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Hartford Current reports that police and school administrators said the student never posed a risk to school safety.

“The Ansonia police received a complaint from the Ansonia High School administrators on Oct. 9, 2015. The [school resource officer] completed a report and we forwarded it off to Homeland Security as we would with any case that we feel needs to be brought to their attention,” Lt. Andrew Cota said.

The boy was removed from the school out of  “an abundance of caution,” but school officials declined further comment.

“In response to press reports concerning an Ansonia student making reference to ISIS during the Pledge of Allegiance, we did not deem the incident a legitimate threat to the safety of students or staff,” Superintendent Carol Merlone said. “As far as Ansonia Public Schools is concerned, the matter is resolved.”

Governor: Connecticut to Ban People on No-Fly List from Buying Guns

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Connecticut is about to become the first state to ban people on the federal no-fly list from buying guns, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced today.

The New York Times reports that Mally plans to sign an executive order that would prevent people on federal terrorism watch lists from buying firearms.

“Like all Americans, I have been horrified by the recent terrorist attacks in San Bernardino and Paris,” Malloy said. “This should be a wake-up call to all of us. This is a moment to seize in America — and today I’m here to say that we in Connecticut are seizing it.”

Connecticut stiffened its gun laws after 20 children and six adults were killed in the 2013 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton.

President Obama said on Sunday that he supports a similar ban on the federal level.

“What could possibly be the argument for allowing a terrorist suspect to buy a semiautomatic weapon?” Obama said. “This is a matter of national security.”

FBI Investigates Connecticut City to Determine Whether Superstorm Sandy Funds Were Misused

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 8.41.51 AMBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The FBI is investigating whether Milford, Conn., officials misused millions of federal dollars to help clean up the damage from Superstorm Sandy, NBC Connecticut reports. 

Chairman of the Milford Republic Town Committee Paul Beckwith said the FBI Public Corruption Task Force interviewed several city employees.

“They shared with us they had been questioned about funding issues within the City of Milford concerning FEMA grants,” Beckwith said.

Agents are concerned that millions of dollars in federal funds may have been misused.

Another Bizarre Twist in 25-Year-Old Art Heist Involving Aging Gangster

Theft at Gardner Museum

Theft at Steward Gardner Museum.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The bizarre case involving the 25-year-old Steward Gardner Museum heist took another strange twist after disclosures in a federal court Wednesday that an aging Connecticut gangster lied when asked in the past whether he knew anything about the stolen paintings, the Hartford Courant reports. 

As a result, the FBI terminated its cooperation agreement with the Robert Gentile.

A polygraph administered to Gentile in the past showed that he likely lied when he denied knowing nothing about the robbery of 13 gems, including three Rembrandts and works by Manet and Degas.

A polygraph administered to Gentile in the past showed that he likely lied when he denied knowing nothing about the robbery and when he said he received none of the paintings.

While the discovery explains why the FBI has doggedly pursued Gentile for years on the robbery, investigators still don’t know what happened to the paintings.