Smugglers left behind a 2-year-old girl in Granjeno, Texas, where she was wearing a T-shirt with a phone number on it.
Border Patrol agents rescued the girl and apprehended 14 illegal immigrants who authorities believe had possession of the girl, KSAT.com reports.
The girl was from El Salvador, and her mother said a friend was supposed to bring her daughter to her.
“Smugglers are heartless criminals who have no regard for the lives of the people, no matter what age. This child was left in the hands of strangers to get smuggled across the border,” said Chief Patrol Agent Manuel Padilla Jr. “This case shows how smugglers continue to prey on the most vulnerable, treating them as contraband, using them for personal gain.”
Other Stories of Interest
- FBI Won’t Reveal Method for Cracking San Bernardino iPhone
- Second Judge Argues Evidence from FBI Hack Should Be Tossed
- Fourth Staten Island Cop Disciplined Amid FBI Corruption Probe
- FBI Offers $100,000 Reward for Missing Alabama Teen
- Ex-CIA Agent Loses Appeal Against Extradition to Italy