Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

November 2019
S M T W T F S
« Oct    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: porn

Santorum Accuses Obama Admin. Of Being Too Lax About Cracking Down on Porn

Rick Santorum/gov photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Rick Santorum, who has marketed himself as the conservative Republican candidate who can defeat the liberal Barack Obama, is complaining the Obama Justice Department isn’t doing enough to crackdown on pornography.

The Christian Post reports that Santorum had said on his campaign website that President Obama favored pornographers over children.

On CNN on Sunday, he remarked:

“The proof is in the prosecution. In the Bush administration, pornographers were prosecuted much more rigorously than they are … under the Obama administration. … They have not put a priority on prosecuting these cases and in doing so they are exposing children to a tremendous amount of harm, and … putting children at risk as a result of that.”

 

Politicians Voice Opposition to the Axing of Justice Unit that Cracked Down on Adult XXX

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Some conservative politicians — mostly Republicans but some Dems — are beating their chest over pornography.

The politicians including Sen. Orin Hatch (R-Utah) signed a letter earlier this month that was sent to Attorney Gen. Eric Holder Jr. complaining about the Justice Department shuttering its Obscenity Prosecution Task Force. The unit was created  under President George W. Bush, according to Politico.

The group is complaining that the department isn’t doing enough to crackdown on pornography.

Politico reports that the Justice Department insists it’s not giving up the battle against pornography, but it’s best handled at the U.S. Attorney level.

“Attorney General Holder told the Judiciary Committee last year that this task force was the centerpiece of the strategy to combat adult obscenity,” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) told POLITICO in a statement Friday. “Rather than initiate a single new case since President Obama took office, however, the only development in this area has been the dismantling of the task force. As the toxic waste of obscenity continues to spread and harm everyone it touches, it appears the Obama administration is giving up without a fight.”

In the letter sent to Holder, according to Politico, the politicians said: “We write to urge the Department of Justice vigorously to enforce federal obscenity laws against major commercial distributors of hardcore adult pornography.

“We know more than ever how illegal adult obscenity contributes to violence against women, addiction, harm to children, and sex trafficking. This material harms individuals, families and communities and the problems are only getting worse.”

Not all see the elimination of the unit as a bad thing.

“It’s a very smart and pragmatic move on the part of the administration,” Diane Duke of the Free Speech Coalition, a group representing businesses that produce sexually-explicit entertainment, told Politico. “It was a witch hunt against folks in the industry, and it wasn’t one that was particularly successful. … It just seems like, finally, the Department of Justice has caught up with the rest of the nation.”

Read full report

Will Failed D.C. Porn Case Dampen Fed Prosecutors’ Zeal?

John Stagliano/facebook photo
John Stagliano/facebook photo

By Allan Lengel
For AOL News

WASHINGTON — In courtroom 18 in the sterile D.C. federal courthouse, Justice Department prosecutors earlier this month tried nailing a major producer of adult pornography on obscenity charges.

The lawyers, part of the department’s Obscenity Prosecution Task Force, spent four days presenting their case against California porn producer John Stagliano (aka “Buttman”), who had been indicted in 2008, during the final year of the Bush administration. As part of their case, prosecutors even played pornographic videos with names like “Milk Nymph” for the jurors.

But before the defense could even present its side, U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon dismissed the case, saying the government had failed to prove the most basic of issues: that the defendant and two related companies were linked to porno videos that the government claimed went beyond the acceptable community standards.

The judge also raised questions about core issues in the case.

“I hope the government will learn a lesson from its experience,” declared Leon, who voiced concerns about the issues of obscenity statute, the Internet, free speech and criminal rights, according to The Washington Post. “I hope that [higher] courts and Congress will give greater guidance to judges in whose courtrooms these cases will be tried.”

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Skeptical D.C. Fed Judge Dismisses Charges in Major Porn Trial Against “Buttman”

John Stagliano/facebook photo

John Stagliano/facebook photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — A D.C. federal judge, saying he hoped “the government will learn a lesson from its experience”, dismissed a major obscenity case against a major porn producer, John A. Stagliano, aka “Buttman”, the Washington Post reported.

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon dismissed the case before the Calif.-based Stagliano of Evil Angel Productions could present a defense, the Post reported, calling the Justice Department’s Obscenity Prosecution Task Force case in the four days of trial “woefully insufficient”, the Post reported.

“I hope the government will learn a lesson from its experience,” Leon said, according to the Post.

The Post reported that he cited “difficult, challenging and novel questions” in the case involving decades-old federal obscenity statutes, the Internet, free speech and criminal defendants’ rights.

“I hope that [higher] courts and Congress will give greater guidance to judges in whose courtrooms these cases will be tried,” he said, according to the Post.

The Post reported that prosecutors did not comment.

The Post reported that Justice Department statistics show 361 defendants were charged with obscenity violations under the Bush II regime, nearly twice as many as under Clinton.

To read more click here.

Weekend Stories Worth Reading

FBI May Have Been a Little Too Deep Into Investigating the Real Deep Throat

It’s hard to believe in 1972 the FBI had nothing better to do. Then again, this must havedeep-throat been a coveted assignment.

By MATT SEDENSKY
Associated Press
MIAMI — Newly released FBI files show agents across the country and at the highest level of the agency investigated “Deep Throat” — the 1972 porn movie, not the shadowy Watergate figure — in a vain attempt to roll back a shift toward a more permissive culture.

The documents released to The Associated Press show the extent of agents’ investigation into the film: seizing copies of the movie, having negatives analyzed in labs and interviewing everyone from actors and producers to messengers who delivered reels to theaters.

All of it was a failed attempt to stop the spread of a movie that some saw as the victory of a cultural and sexual revolution and others saw as simply decadent.

For Full Story