Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

March 2020
S M T W T F S
« Feb    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: Syed Rizwan Farook

Many Questions Unanswered a Year After San Bernardino Terrorist Attack

San Bernardino couple who opened fire at a holiday party.

San Bernardino couple who opened fire at a holiday party.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

It has been a year since Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people in a terrorist attack in San Bernardino, but the FBI is still struggling to answer key questions.

Feds conducted more than 600 interviews, served dozens of search warrants and waged a legal battle with Apple to unlock Farook’s iPhone.

But according to the Los Angeles Times, federal authorities “still don’t have answers to some of the critical questions posted int he days after the Dec. 2, 2015, attack at the Inland Regional Center.

One of the FBI’s most pressing concerns is whether the couple received help or whether anyone was aware of the couple’s plot.

“There are unanswered questions in this case,” FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said. “There is an ongoing investigation into did they get financial or material support from anyone else.”

FBI Investigates Mentally Unstable Friend of San Bernardino Shooters

San Bernardino couple who opened fire at a holiday party.

San Bernardino couple who opened fire at a holiday party.

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The FBI is investigating a friend of the San Bernardino shooters to determine whether he was involved or assisted in the attack, the Washington Post reports.

Soon after the holiday party massacre, Enrique Marquez checked himself into a mental-health facility.

Authorities said he is cooperating and that Marquez acknowledged he was planning an attack with Syed Rizwan Farook in 2012 but backed off after four local men were arrested for plotting to kill Americans in Afghanistan.

Officials don’t believe he had prior knowledge of the holiday party attack, but he still faces the possibility of being charged.

ABC News: San Bernardino Attack: Gun-Buyer Could See Criminal Charges

Enrique Marquez

Enrique Marquez

By ABC News

Authorities investigating the terror attack in San Bernardino told ABC News today that they may bring gun charges against Enrique Marquez, the 24-year-old neighbor and longtime friend of one of the shooters, who officials said originally bought two of the weapons used in the deadly attack.

Officials said they believe one of the San Bernardino gunmen, Syed Rizwan Farook, asked Marquez to buy the two “assault-style” rifles back in late 2011 or early 2012 so that Farook’s name would not be on file in connection with the high-powered rifles.

In a Facebook posting from Marquez’s profile just hours after the attack, he said, “I’m. Very sorry sguys. It was a pleasure.”

To read the full story click here.

FBI Raids Home of Man Who Provided Weapons to Couple in San Bernardino Shootings

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 12.49.00 PM

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

FBI agents executed a search warrant early Saturday morning on the California home of the man who reportedly purchased some of guns for the couple who went on a shooting spree in San Bernardino, killing 14 and wounding 21.

Agents raided the home of Enrique Marquez on Tomlinson Avenue  in Riverside, Calif. shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday, a source told ticklethewire.com. It’s unclear what agents came away with.

Marquez was not home and had earlier self-admitted himself into a mental health facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The couple,  Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, were shot and killed after the shootings this past week.

Federal authorities have not charged Marquez with any crime, but are probing into what role, if any, he played beyond buying the weapons and whether he knew of any of the couple’s plans.

 

Source on California Attacks: ‘This Is the First of Many’

Syed Rizwan Farook

Syed Rizwan Farook

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Investigators are looking into the possibility that the wife in the husband-wife team that went on the rampage in San Bernardino, Calif.,  was a ring leader of a terrorist cell, and that she and her husband may have made and distributed bombs to other potential terrorists in America, a source familiar with the probe tells ticklethewire.com.

The couple,  Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, were shot and killed after the shootings. Authorities believe that Farook met Malik online, then met her in person when he went to Saudi Arabia to perform the Hajj pilgrimage in 2013, CNN reports.  She later came to the U.S. on a fiance visa and became a legal permanent resident.

Media reports have said that the couple tried to destroy emails before they went on the shooting spree that killed 14 and wounded 21, and that Farook made contact with known Islamic extremists on social media.

Investigators are looking at their social media and emails to see if others were involved in the plot, and whether the couple communicated with other terrorists and distributed bombs to them that were manufactured at the couple’s home in Redlands, Calif., the source tells ticklethewire.com.

“Us hiding behind the fact that this doesn’t happen here, well, guess what, it just did,” said the source. “This is the first of many.”

Authorities are looking into the potential ties to ISIS.

In the past, terrorist groups have recruited males.

But the source said investigators are looking into the possibility that ISIS recruited the wife and arranged for a marriage with Farook.  Authorities believe she may have radicalized her husband.

Law enforcement authorities raided the couple’s home after the attack and found 12 bombs and materials to make a lot more. Authorities fear that some of the bombs made there have already been distributed to other terrorists in the U.S.,  who may be planning more attacks, the source said.

Some theorize that the husband-wife team left three pipe bombs that were made into one bomb with a detonator at the scene of the rampage in San Bernardino, hoping to detonate the bomb when responders arrived.

 

California Shootings: Wife May Have Been Behind Husband Becoming Radicalized

Syed Rizwan Farook

Syed Rizwan Farook

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

In the California shootings on Wednesday, investigators are looking into the possibility that the wife may have convinced her husband to become radicalized, a source familiar with the probe tells ticklethewire.com.

Husband Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and wife Tashfeen Malik, 27, were killed by authorities after going on a rampage and killing 14 and wounding 21 at Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

CNN is reporting that Farook was in touch with people being investigated by the FBI for international terrorism. CNN cites law enforcement officials.

But a source says that investigators are also looking into communications the wife may have had with international terrorists.

Authorities found three pipe bombs that were made into an IED (improvised explosive device) at the site of  the shootings, and some investigators theorized that the bomb might have been left behind to hurt the law enforcement responders.