Get Our Newsletter



Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

November 2019
S M T W T F S
« Oct    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: U.S. Consulate

Suspect in U.S. Consulate Attack Demands Lawyer During FBI Interrogation

 Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

A suspect in custody in the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya said he wants his attorney present during FBI interrogations, the Associated Press reports.

Tunisian Ali Harzi is “strongly suspected” of being involved in the assault by armed men in the Libyan city of Benghazi, the AP reported. That attack killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stephens and three other American diplomats.

Authorities believe Islamic extremists were behind the attack.

FBI Delays Sending FBI Agents to Libya Because of Instability

By Susan Candiotti and Arwa Damon
CNN

FBI investigators probing the U.S. Consulate killings in Libya put off a visit there until conditions in the volatile region are safer.

Agents hoped to arrive on Saturday but reconsidered because of the instability sweeping across Libya and throughout the region, federal law enforcement officials said.

One source said there’s nothing to be gained by putting additional people in harm’s way when the situation on the ground remains volatile. It’s hard to say when the situation will become stable enough for the FBI to visit, the officials said.

To read more click here.

DEA Helps Mexicans Capture Ex-Cop Suspected in 1,500 Killings

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

With the help of information from the DEA, authorities in Mexico have captured a former cop-turned drug gang chieftan allegedly responsible for ordering the killings of 1,500 people, the Associated Press reported.

Authorities said Jose Antonio Acosta Hernandez is also a suspect in last year’s slaying of a U.S. consulate employee near a border crossing in Ciudad Juarez, AP reported.

AP reported that “Mexican President Felipe Calderon said through his Twitter account that Acosta’s capture is ‘the biggest blow’ to organized crime in Ciudad Juarez since he sent about 5,000 federal police to the city in April 2010 to try to curb violence in one of the world’s most dangerous cities.”

Authorities said Acosta, 33, was caught Friday in the northern city of Chihuahua along with his bodyguard.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

FBI Says Ranking Mexican Gang Member No Easy Find

Eduardo Ravelo in 1998 photo/fbi photo

Eduardo Ravelo in 1998 photo/fbi photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The FBI knows  Mexican gang member Eduardo Ravelo — who may have had a hand in the recent murders of three people linked to the U.S. Consulate in Mexico — is no easy find.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Ravelo — on the FBI’s Top Ten Fugitives — probably had his fingerprints altered and plastic surgery on his face. He is listed as a captain in the Barrio Azteca, a gang that carries out contract murders for  the Juarez drug cartel, which is believed to be responsible for the spiraling murder rate in the border town of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

“Except for his dark eyes, federal officials doubt he looks anything like his 12-year-old FBI most wanted photo — round face, trim mustache and a scar along his cheek,” the Times wrote.

The Times reports that the FBI believes the 42-year-old lives in  Ciudad Juarez, which borders El Paso, and regularly crosses into Texas.

“He’s a butterfly, a moth,” Samantha Mikeska, an FBI special agent leading the hunt for Ravelo told the Los Angeles Times. “He takes care of his people and that keeps him under the radar.”

To read more click here.

3 People Linked to U.S. Consulate in Mexico Killed in Drive-by Shooting

map_ciudad_juarezBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — The White House got another reminder this weekend of the impact  drug-cartels have on the border towns of Mexico.

CNN reports that a drive by shooting in the border town of Ciudad Juarez on Saturday resulted in the deaths of three people connected to the U.S. Consulate.

The network reported that one victim was an American employee at the consulate and that another victim was the husband of that employee. The third person was the husband of a Mexican employee of the consulate.

“The President is deeply saddened and outraged by the news of the brutal murders of three people associated with the United States Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez,” National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer said in a statement Sunday.

To read more click here.