Two men who converted to Islam were arrested Wednesday and charged with plotting to kill recruits and employees at the Military Entrance Processing Station in Seattle, the U.S. Attorney’s announced Thursday.
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, aka Joseph Anthony Davis, 33, of Seattle, and Walli Mujahidh, aka Frederick Domingue, Jr., 32, of Los Angeles, were charged in a criminal complaint with buying machine guns to carry out the attack, authorities said. They also planned to use grenades.
Authorities said the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force began “monitoring” the two as the plot was developing “to prevent the attack and protect the public.” They said the guns provided to the men “were inoperable”.
“The complaint alleges these men intended to carry out a deadly attack against our military where they should be most safe, here at home,” U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan said in a statement. “This is a sobering reminder of our need to be vigilant and that our first line of defense is the people who live in our community. We were able to disrupt the plot because someone stepped forward and reported it to authorities.”
Authorities first became aware of the plot when a man, who had been approached about participating, tipped off Seattle police.
The tipster than agreed to work with authorities, and the FBI began monitoring their activies, videotaping and recording conversations.
“Driven by a violent, extreme ideology, these two young Americans are charged with plotting to murder men and women who were enlisting in the Armed Forces to serve and protect our country. This is one of a number of recent plots targeting our military here at home,” said Todd Hinnen, Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security. “The threat was averted by the combined efforts of the federal, state and local law enforcement officers that make up the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force.”