By Steve Neavling
Border officials are deporting illegal immigrants on commercial flights and private jets at a cost to taxpayers of more than $300,000 a day.
The Daily Mail reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement spent $116 million in 2015 to deport 235,413 back to their home countries.
About 40% of the deported immigrants were convicted criminals. Another 1,000 were identified as gang members.
The average cost to deport an immigrant by plane was $12,213 in 2015.
Included in that cost are identifying the immigrants, apprehending them, lodging them in a detention center, putting them through immigration court and then removing them.
Other Stories of Interest
- Apple, FBI To Clash Again Before Congress Over Encryption
- Court: FBI Can Collect Cell Phone Data Without a Warrant
- Justice Department: Give Police Reform in San Francisco a Chance
- ACLU Sues Justice Department for Afghan Detention Site Docs
- Senators Call for Action to Increase Security Along Border